About Doctor Who
DOCTOR WHO is the longest running science fiction series on television. It began in 1963 as the result of a commission from Canadian Sydney Newman--then the BBC Head of Drama--to create a series to primarily appeal to children and young adults and teach them about history and science.
As the series unfolded, viewers learned about the title character, known as the Doctor,a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, who travelled in a time machine called the TARDIS which was bigger on the inside than the outside. The role was played by veteran actor William Hartnell from 1963-1966. When Hartnell left the series, it was revealed the Doctor could physically change his form, allowing the Doctor to be portrayed subsequently by Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy.
The series' appeal has been a versatile format that explored horror, science fiction, humour, action and historical adventure. The series relied on a uniquely British wit and clever scripting that made up for its occasional deficiencies in production values. The Series' hero, monsters, villains and even its theme song are icons in British culture as a result, and loved in over 100 countries around the world.
In 2005 the series was revived in a brand new version, starring Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and now Matt Smith as the Doctor in a new Doctor Who for a new generation of fans
What next for the Doctor? Wait and see!
To learn more about the Series:
- DWIN's New Series FAQ
- The Doctor Who FAQ (offsite)
- A Brief History of Doctor Who from the Official BBC site
We bring you up to speed for Series Four
We bring you up to speed just in time for series three…
- Thus Quoth the Raven Nevermore
- Go To Sleep
- Five Rounds Rapid
- Keeping the Peace
- Stand and Deliver
- Arya’s and Sympathies
- Look, Here Comes the Flood
- In and Around the Lake
- A Favourite Which is Familar
- The Axeman Cometh
- The Companion Departures - #7 - Susan
- The Companion Departures - #9 and #8 - Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright
- The Companion Departures - #11 & #10 - Jamie McCrimmon and Zoe Herriott
- The Companion Departures - #12 Steven Taylor
- The Companion Departures - #13 Amy Pond and Rory Williams