About Doctor Who
DOCTOR WHO is the longest running science fiction series on television. It began in 1963 as the result of a commission from Canadian Sydney Newman--then the BBC Head of Drama--to create a series to primarily appeal to children and young adults and teach them about history and science.
As the series unfolded, viewers learned about the title character, known as the Doctor,a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, who travelled in a time machine called the TARDIS which was bigger on the inside than the outside. The role was played by veteran actor William Hartnell from 1963-1966. When Hartnell left the series, it was revealed the Doctor could physically change his form, allowing the Doctor to be portrayed subsequently by Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy.
The series' appeal has been a versatile format that explored horror, science fiction, humour, action and historical adventure. The series relied on a uniquely British wit and clever scripting that made up for its occasional deficiencies in production values. The Series' hero, monsters, villains and even its theme song are icons in British culture as a result, and loved in over 100 countries around the world.
In 2005 the series was revived in a brand new version, starring Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and now Matt Smith as the Doctor in a new Doctor Who for a new generation of fans
What next for the Doctor? Wait and see!
To learn more about the Series:
- DWIN's New Series FAQ
- The Doctor Who FAQ (offsite)
- A Brief History of Doctor Who from the Official BBC site
We bring you up to speed for Series Four
We bring you up to speed just in time for series three…
In the latest issue: Issue 171
Their Secrets Revealed : The final reviews for Season 2013! Plus, in this last print issue of Enlightenment before the all-digital era begins…
- Re-evaluating recovered episodes—you know, hypothetically…
- The Gazetteer of Doom
- News and reviews
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 39 - 2001
- Happy 50th Anniversary
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 38 - 2000
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 37 - 1999
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 36 - 1998
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 35 - 1997
- Keep your hair on…...but more missing episodes have been found!
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 34 - 1996
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 33 - 1995
- Sydney Newman interviewed by CBC in 1966
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 32 - 1994
- YouTubing It #33
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 31 - 1993
- 50 Glorious Years: Episode 30 - 1992
- Did the CBC really want to redub Christopher Eccleston’s Doctor?